For startups and small businesses, Pvt Ltd company registration is advised.
A Pvt Ltd company registration is the best form of company for a startup, especially one which is growth-oriented. The reasons for this are many like,
- Usually, startups have more than one founder so it is difficult to be an OPC.
- They also aim at getting cash from angel investors and Venture Capitalists (VC‘s) from the further issue of shares.
- Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) in Pvt company enables employees to hold a stake in the startup.
- Moreover, a minimum share capital requirement of Rs 1 Lakh for incorporation has been removed.
- The government has offered various exemptions including a tax holiday. This makes a private company form more suitable. Certain conditions are to be met by eligible startups to be entitled to a tax holiday which extends to 3 blocks out of the initial 5 years.
- To claim eligibility, the company must be registered between April 1, 2016- 31 March, 2019, and its annual turnover must not exceed Rs 25 crore and it must have obtained a certificate of eligible business from the Inter-Ministerial Board.
The flourishing startup ecosystem seems to have boosted the growth of private companies. During the year 2015-16, as many as 60,414 private companies with an aggregate authorized capital of Rs 10,845 crore were registered (statistics are up to December 31) – a hike of 36% over the previous corresponding period as per MCA report.
Also, read the related posts: